Promotion Policies for All Grade Levels
- Middle School Promotion Policy
- Graduation Requirements
- Minimum Academic Requirements for Graduation
- A minimum of 24 credits are required for graduation at Horizon Science Academy Dayton. It is the student’s responsibility to secure the requirements for graduation are met. HSAD administration will make every efort to keep up-to date records while informing the students and parents about student progress towards completion of graduation requirements.
- Here are the courses and their credits required by the Horizon Science Academy Dayton Board of Ed-ucation:
- English 4 Years
- Mathematics 4 Years
- Social Studies 4 Years (including 1 credit of Economics)
- Science 3 Years (4 years recommended)
- Foreign Language 2 Years of the same Language (3 to 4 years recom-mended)
- Fine Arts 1 Year (2 or 3 years recommended for planned major)
- Computer Technology 1 Year
- Physical Education 1/2 Credit
- Health 1/2 Credit
- Electives 3 Credits ( including 1/2 credit College Path)
- Community Service (60 hours)
- Students have to pass all sections of the Ohio Graduation Tests.
- Students must accumulate 23 credits within four years for graduation.
- Ohio Graduation Test (OGT)
- All students in the state of Ohio must pass the Ohio Graduation Test (OGT) which is administered every spring. Failed students must retake only the ield in OGT that has not yet been passed.
- As of December 2004, according to the Ohio Revised Code, Section 3313.615 (A), students may graduate and receive a diploma without passing all ive sections of the OGT if they meet all of the following requirements:
- Pass four of the ive tests and have missed passing the ifth test by no more than 10 points.
- Maintain 97% attendance rate through all four years of high school without any kind of expulsion in high school.
- Attain a grade point average of 2.5 out of 4.0 in the subject area not passed and have completed the curriculum requirement for that subject area missed.
- Participate in any intervention program ofered by the school and have 97% attendance rate in any program ofered as an extracurricular credit excluding regular school days.
- Obtain letters of recommendation from each teacher in the subject area not yet passed as well as the high school principal.
- Graduation Requirements for college Acceptance
- Minimum Suggested Requirements for College Acceptance
- With the great diversity that now exists for higher education, it is not possible to recommend a standard program of preparation for college that can be applied to all students. A student planning to enter college should select at least the following:
- Language Arts…………………………………4 credits
- Mathematics…………………………………..4 credits
- Science………………………………………….3 credits
- Social Studies…………………………………4 credits
- Foreign Language……………………………2 credits
- Fine Arts……………………………………….1 credit
- *Two to three years of the same foreign language may be required for admission to a college.
- Promotion Policy
- Promotion Policy
- Grade promotion is independent of course passing. If students cannot get a passing grade in any of their courses, they need to retake that course. Students must meet the credit requirements to be promoted to the next grade level as listed below:
|Freshman Promotion||To be promoted from ninth to tenth grade at HSAD high school, students mustpass at least three of their core subject courses (Math, Science, English and SocialStudies) and must have successfully completed a minimum of 5.0 credits.
|Sophomore Promotion||To be promoted from tenth to eleventh grade at HSAD high school, studentsmust pass at least three of their core subject courses (Math, Science, English,Reading, and Social Studies) and must have successfully completed a minimum of
|Junior Promotion||To be promoted from eleventh to twelfth grade at HSAD high school, studentsmust have successfully completed a minimum of 16 credits and must be eligibleto graduate on time according to the minimum graduation requirements.
|Senior Graduation||To graduate from HSAD high school, students must complete a minimum of 23credits, 60 hours of community service learning, and a senior thesis. * Studentmust have also met the minimum credit requirement for all areas indicated on the
graduation requirement form.
- Receiving Credit Policy
- In order to receive a credit for a course, students have to meet the following criterion:
For Semester Courses: Earn a Passing grade of at least a “D” or above as inal grade. Students earn 0.5 credit at the end of the semester if the average of two quarters is at least a D– or above. They earn 0 credit if the average of two quarters is an F.
For Year-long Courses: Earn a Passing grade of at least “D-” or above as inal grade. Students earn 1 credit at the end of the year if the average of two years is at least a D– or above. They earn 0 credit if the average of two semesters is an F.
- Grading and Point Scale Range for GPA Calculation
- All classes at HSAD will follow the standard scale below for assigning letter grades for quarter and
semester work. Individual teachers will establish the grading policies and procedures for their classes
and their grades will correspond to the scale below:
Letter Grade Numerical Value GPA Calculation